Thursday, February 13, 2014

Polish interview

Joe Frawley was interviewed for the Polish music blog Tobiesobiemastu:
http://tobiesobiemiastu.wordpress.com/2014/01/29/wywiad-joe-frawley-2014/

Here is the English version:

1. Hi. Please, introduce yourself.

I'm Joe Frawley, from Connecticut, USA. I am calling myself a composer now, but I think "composer" is a very loosely defined term. I work with found sound samples and original piano music, composed or improvised. I paint with sound.

2. Could you tell me something about your music beginnings? When and why have you started to produce music ?

When I was young, learning music was about forming my own identity; I wanted to distinguish myself. I wanted to be good at something. I wasn't exceptionally talented, but I was incredibly determined.

3. I must say that the style you’ve created is one of the most original I’ve ever heard. And I’ve heard a lot. Tell me something about it.

The quote I have on my website is, from author John Fowles, "Man needs the existence of mysteries, not their solutions". I am cynical in that I don't think music can change the world, but it is very effective at distracting you from it. And I think we need distractions. I make lush, elaborate distractions- worlds that contain enough hidden corners and secret paths to hold you there for a while, and also to challenge your imagination. You, the listener, are an active participant, because you have to complete the story, in a sense, with your imagination. But I think I leave you enough breadcrumbs.

4. Do you sleep lot ? 

Not as much as I would like. And I wish I could remember my dreams better.

5. These magical vocals, seriously taken from night or day dreams, where are they really come from ?

There are two types of vocals in my music: spoken and sung. My earlier work relied entirely on found sounds, that is electronic samples of music and speech from pre-recorded media. As time went on I began to recruit other musicians to provide their own voices and sounds. But I still enjoy incorporating found sounds. Sometimes I intentionally scan audio or video sources for snippets that grab my attention. Other times, sounds are found by chance. And perhaps you could include a third type: sounds from the lungs, larynx and mouth. Breathing, laughing, whispering are some of my favorite sounds to find, or to ask friends to do.

6. What are you listening in your spare / off time ?

The new Goldfrapp album is amazing. I mostly like female singers with unique voices.

7. Five most important albums to you, Joe.

These are just a guess:

1. Kate Bush- Hounds of Love
2. Kate Bush - The Dreaming
3. Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's
4. Genesis- Lamb Lies Down on Broadway, or Foxtrot
5. something by Philip Glass probably

8. You new project Doll Come To Life ? How did it start ?

I liked Michelle Cross's Facebook page and we got into a conversation. I was between projects and she expressed an interest in seeing her songs set in non-rock arrangements. We both agree on a lot of things about music- about how songs should create worlds and tell stories. We were each at a point where we wanted to stretch and try something different, so I think it was good timing. And we work well together because we have the same determination, but we also both respect each other's busy lives.

9. Plans for future ?

On March 20th, Dolls Come To Life will release their second album, The Groundskeeper's Daughter. Then I am taking a break from that project and doing something solo again. I'm not sure what direction it will take exactly, but I want to play a lot of piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Joe Frawley (b. July 4, 1971) is a composer, pianist and visual artist whose works blur the boundary between music and sound art. By layering and juxtaposing original piano music with processed found sounds, field recordings, and recontextualized speech fragments, the composer creates challenging yet accessible sound assemblages bearing a hypnotic dreamlike quality.

Followers